Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fall Garden




With the onset of family sickness we had here in the spring and a family surgery in the summer combined with the heat - I did not get a garden in this spring/summer. So I was determined to do a Fall/ Winter one, plus the cold frame. Fortunately, the weather has changed early, which has given me perfect condidtions to go out and play in the dirt.

The first day I tackled the front garden which is not a very big space but was housing , no kidding, 7 ft weeds. I am trying to make this a perrenial garden, but so far there are only about 4 or 5 in the area. The Hycinth Vines and the Moon Flowers have done the best this year. They were a first year try. We picked up 45 bulbs with 6 varieties the other day, so they will go in next week.

Next on the "to do" list were the areas around the tree in the back yard and a circle of stones that had the 7ft weeds also. Each of these jobs in the weeks, months, before had loomed in my head as taking "FOREVER"! In actuality each time I went out to work I only spent 2hrs. I got what I wanted to accomplished in 2hrs and didn't burn out working then.

Then the day came when I woke up and knew it was time to weed the bed to be the actual vegetable garden. It was very frustrating at first. My Trusty Trowel and I were barely able to gain 2ft in 1/2 an hour. But as the grass came up, finally, it loosened as I went along. I finished the bed in about 1 1/2 hrs and measured it to be 1yd x 6.5yds. It's a little more and less in different places. I don't seem to be able to dig a straight line - ;)

I finished off that day with pruning the Pussy Willow in front of the porch. The view is much better now and I can actually watch the birds from inside now. This was all done last Friday, with WONDERFUL INTENTIONS to work the weekend. But we all know how that goes.

Monday I was back at it, but not until later in the day. I planted 2 rows of seeds and was just glad I made it out there. Tuesday I planted 7 more rows, each row being a different vegetable. Basically I am doing lettuce, spinach, white and red radishes, carrots, beets, and winter squash. I will plant again in 2 weeks. And then again in 2 and when frost is eminent I will do a planting up against the wall.

Wednesday I was beginning to think I would not make it outside, but I did. I did not do alot, but I was able to move the cold frame to a new location. I want to have it there now mostly so the pups get used to it being there. Eventually, which now means next week, I will put pots in it with soil and insulate them with wool and newspapers. Inside I bleached clean the sprouter and seeded the 1st tray.

So starts my Fall/ Winter Garden. If you have one let me know how it is going!

No comments: