Monday, January 7, 2008

NEW THOUGHTS, ORDINARY DAY

Today is a Monday like many other. I see my man off to work and start the daily chores. I do laundry and feed and play with kitties and the St. Bernard Puppy and go over his obedience lessons with him. I started new sprouts today and set out crocus bulbs in a small jar in hope of blooms for Valentine's Day, and the watching of growing green in overcast January.



I open up my school work for the week after a much enjoyed Winter Break. I open up the syllabus and find that this week we will be studying Evolution and next week, how the Earth began. Pretty heady stuff as you fold sheets and hang shirts, huh?

What amazes me is that this is the first time that this subject has really been explored in my life. I went to a grade school where we never broached Evolution. I went to a high school where it was in our books, but the parochial school teacher glossed over it. The only "scientific" theory I ever fully heard was Creationism, or to be PC, Intelligent Design. Now through my electronic course I find it never was a theory, a belief, but not a theory.

Does it change my belief? I have been reading about Darwin's life and his Origin of the Species, he was not much interested in how things began, but how they formed here on earth. Interesting, I am sure, this is truly secular.

But past all the beliefs and theories and science and laundry, I'm a middle aged woman, going to college on line, in a small foothills of Appalachian town and a homemaker planning her next lace or charity project. "We've come a long way, baby!"

No comments: